Students who have a verified disability that necessitates a housing accommodation may submit their request to the Office of Accessibility Services.  Accommodations are available for both physical and mental health conditions .  If you believe you may be eligible for a housing accommodation due to a disability (as defined by the Americans With Disabilities Act and Section 504), please see the Accessibility Services website for complete information, instructions, and policies regarding accommodation requests.  Please do not send disability accommodation documentation to the Residence Life Office.  


When should I submit my accommodation request?

Housing accommodation requests may be submitted at any time.  However, accommodation requests for the next academic year must be submitted by March 1st (current students) or June 1st (incoming first year students) to insure opportunity for review prior to assignments being made.  Following completion of room assignments for the coming year (e.g. after the Housing Application & Lottery processes, after First Year housing assignments are finalized, etc.), accommodations will be offered as space is available. Similarly, during the semester and at mid-year, new accommodation approvals will be met as space is available.

How will Residence Life know if my request is approved?

If approved, the Director of Residence Life will receive an email from Accessibility Services that specifies your specific accommodation.

As a currently enrolled student, when will I be assigned housing?

If your accommodation specifies a particular type of housing (e.g. single room), in the spring semester you may register to be individually assigned to housing for the next academic year in advance of the Lottery process by completing the Housing Accommodation Form.   The form will be available in MyHousing in mid-March.  You will receive confirmation of your assignment by mid-April.

If you receive approval for an accommodation during the year or after Fall room assignments have been completed, you will be assigned as space is available through the room change process.

Do I have to be assigned based on my accommodation?

No.  You are welcome to arrange your housing through one of the various housing assignment processes (e.g. greek chapter house roster, special interest house, Block, Wellness, etc) or Lottery.

If you are assigned into College housing through an application or roster process, you will be assigned according to your accommodation if possible.  [For example, if you are approved for a single and are accepted into Block Housing, your group would be assigned a cluster of rooms that includes a single bedroom].

If you participate in Lottery, you will be assigned to the room you/your roommate group selects.

If you arrange your own housing, you will be charged the housing rate of the room you selected and Residence Life would not use information entered on the Housing Accommodation Form.

As an incoming first-year student, when will I be assigned housing?

You will be assigned over the summer, at the same time as other new students.  Residence Life staff will place you in a room that meets your accommodation needs while taking into account your preferences expressed on the First Year Housing Application.

Do I need to resubmit my documentation each year?

No.  Once approved, housing accommodations apply to subsequent housing terms.  If you have previously received a housing accommodation, you do not need to resubmit (unless there is a change in your condition).  Housing accommodations apply to all housing terms, including Summer.