Living in college-owned off-campus housing allows you some freedoms and different responsibilities than living in a traditional residence hall.  Not only will you have household responsibilities (grocery shopping and regular cleaning) but you also have the responsibility to multiple communities around your home.  While your “landlord” is still the College, there are important items that you will have to take care of on your own and expectations to follow.

Air Conditioning

With the exception of the Portlock Black Cultural Center, College-owned off-campus houses/apartments are not air conditioned.  Students living off-campus would follow the approval process through the Bailey Health Center to request installation of a window unit based on a medical need.  Only Facilities Operations Staff is permitted to install AC units in college-owned properties.

College Hill Neighborhood Community

Living off-campus means you now also a member of the College Hill community. Engage in the community by introducing yourself to neighbors, attending community events or attend a meeting of the College Hill Neighborhood Association.

Although off-campus housing is intended to give you more independence, you are still a part of the College community and should stay updated on campus happenings as well.

Contracted Services: Internet and Cable

The Lafayette College internet and cable network does not extend to the off-campus houses and apartments*.  Students are responsible for contracting vendors for any and all services they choose. It is a good idea to talk over these services as a household (include all roommates) in order to make decisions about finances, usage, and account ownership.

There are many  providers in the Easton area with whom you can contract internet and/or cable TV. Below is the contact info for the most commonly used providers in the area.
Be sure to ask for college student specials and bundled services!

Provider Services Contact Info
PEN TELE DATA *Internet 800-804-5783
RCN *Local and long distance phone service
Bundles available
SERVICE ELECTRIC *Local and long distance phone service
Bundles available
VERIZON *Local and long distance phone service
VOICENET *Internet  888-647-4373

*For students in the Portlock Black Cultural Center, College WiFi is already installed in the building.  The cable television package available in our residence halls can be purchased directly through Facilities Operations.

Exterior upkeep

You and your roommates are responsible for keeping the yard, porch, and sidewalks free of debris and unsightly items.  This means picking up garbage left by guests or passersby, collecting the delivered newspapers and fliers as well as taking in your garbage and recycling bins after they have been emptied.

As per the City of Easton ordinance and College policy, no furniture intended for inside use is permitted outside.

Furnishings and Decorations

College-owned houses and apartments are supplied with basic furnishings:

  • Bedroom: bed, desk, desk chair, and a dresser for each student (similar to residence hall rooms)
  • Beds are traditional XL twins, the same as in residence halls.
  • Kitchen/Dining area: a table and chair per student, oven/stove and standard sized refrigerator
  • Living Room: generally seating for six, usually in the form of couch, loveseat and chair. Each unit should also have a coffee table and/or end table.

You will provide your own cookware, dishes, utensils, linens, etc.  Talk with your roommates about bringing additional furnishing that will give your place that personal touch.  Don’t forget about your outdoor spaces. Only appropriate outdoor furniture is allowed. No inside furniture outside!

As you think about how you are going to decorate your spaces please keep in mind, off-campus housing is no different than your days in the residence halls. You will be charged for any intentional or accidental damages. Please invest in any non-paint pulling adhesive products (eg: 3M Command products).  Most off-campus units have map rail to attach wall hangings to, please use them to avoid damage charges.


Students living in College-owned off-campus housing* have checkpoint access to the community laundry room in the basement of Soles Hall. The entrance is in the rear, off the Health Center’s parking lot. There is a large, 24-hour study lounge connected to the laundry room as well as a vending machine.

*For students in the Portlock Black Cultural Center, laundry facilities are inside of their buildings.

Maintenance Requests: Submitting Work Orders

The Facilities Operations department is responsible for maintaining College owned off-campus properties.  Our office acts as a liaison between students and Facilities Operations. Students are prohibited from doing their own repairs.

Maintenance Requests

Non-emergency repairs should be submitted through a work order request.  Give us as much information as you can about the issue and we will put it into a work order for you. Facilities Operations staff will fix the issue or be in touch if they have questions about your request.

Emergency requests should be reported immediately as follows:

  • Weekdays 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., call Facilities Operations at 610-330-5373.
  • After 4:30 p.m. and on the weekends, call Public Safety at 610-330-5330.


Through the parking registration process managed by the Office of Public Safety, off-campus students may request a Residential Parking Permit (RPP) for parking overnight on streets in the City of Easton.

Room and Board Costs

Students living in College Owned Off Campus housing still have a meal plan requirement, which is based on the presence of a private kitchen in their unit.

The room fee for off-campus housing fee reflects the costs associated with maintaining and operating the properties.  All housing fees are approved annual and posted on the Finance and Administration webpage.

Trash and Recycling

Trash is collected every Tuesday on College Hill.  Garbage should be placed on the curb Monday night after 6 p.m.  If the garbage is not placed on the curb, it WILL NOT be collected. The College will supply a trash can and recycling can.  Students may receive fines or Code of Conduct violations for trash that is improperly managed.

Be sure to review the City of Easton Trash and Recycling Schedule.

A Guide for Living in Your Off-Campus Home

Refer to this off-campus living guide (pdf) for additional information about living off-campus.

Off-Campus Assignment through Application Based Processes and House Rosters

Please see information about self-directed Wellness housing, the Monroe Neighborhood, and House Rosters (such as Portlock, Hillel, and the Arts Houses) under Housing Applications.

Off-Campus Assignment through the Lottery

College-owned off-campus houses and apartments are available through the Lottery.  The exception being units designated for programs that are application or roster based (Monroe Neighborhood, Portlock Black Cultural Center, Arts Houses, Hillel) .