Helpful information about the privately-owned, Tator North and McCartney South. These halls are considered campus housing and are operated by a private owner in partnership with the College.

Overview (pdf)

Who can live in Tator North suites?

All upper-level students can apply to live in the suites, keeping in mind the lottery process is seniority based by class year.  Generally, rising seniors and juniors live here. This hall contains all single bedrooms arranged in 1, 3, and 4 person suites (a majority of the suites are 4-person; very few 1- and 3-person). The suites include student bedrooms, in-unit bathroom(s), and a common area with refrigerator, sink, cabinets, and dining table with chairs.

Who can live in McCartney South semi-suites?

All upper-level students can apply to live in the semi-suites.  This hall is a traditional layout with double bedrooms connected by a shared bathroom.  It is a good option for a student who wants to live with a roommate and a pair of friends. Rising juniors and sophomores generally reside in the semi-suites.

How can I select a room?

Tator North and McCartney South are available through the Senior Only and occupancy Lottery Events.  Please see the Housing Lottery page for additional details.

How do I match with my roommate(s)?

If you are looking to live with a roommate or group of people you will need to go through the roommate matching process for your lottery event. Only fully matched roommate groups will be able to choose as a group in any lottery event. Groups need to be fully matched by the posted deadline (typically the day before the Lottery event) to receive a lottery start time.  Roommate matching is done through MyHousing.

What is the housing fee for the McCartney Residences?

The 2024-25 room fee for Tator North and McCartney South is $13,268. Students can use financial aid to pay the room fees and can sign up for installment plans.

What does it mean to sign a contract with a private owner?

It is important students understand they are signing a contract with a private owner for the full academic year, and they read the housing contract carefully as some of the contract terms vary from College-owned housing.  Although the contract will be with the owner, the same College services, residence life programs, and policies that are offered in College-owned housing will be available to students in Tator North and McCartney South.

Are room changes permitted in the McCartney Residences?

Room changes within Tator North and McCartney South are permitted based on availability.  Room changes from Tator North or McCartney South to another residence hall are not guaranteed.

How do I pay my housing bill?

The housing fee for Tator North and McCartney South is paid to the property owner (i.e. it does not appear on your College bill). Residents can use an online payment portal to view bills, make payments, and manage their McCartney account. Students can provide their guarantors with access to the system once they are logged into the system.

Can I cancel my contract if I want to go abroad for the spring?

Students who wish to cancel their McCartney Residences housing contract to participate in a College approved study abroad program will be released from the contract if they successfully identify a replacement through the established process. An eligible replacement must be an enrolled Lafayette College student who is not a current resident of Tator North or McCartney South and is not a first-year student.

Why do I need a guarantor?

A guarantor is required to complete the housing contract for the following reasons:

  •         To convey the importance of the contract
  •         To denote the difference from the Lafayette College Housing Contract
  •         To reinforce the financial responsibility undertaken through the contract
  •         To guarantee that all payments will be received  **The guarantor will be responsible for all payments if the student does not provide them.

The student is required to have a parent, legal guardian, or sponsor who is at least twenty-one years old complete the contract guaranty as part of the housing contract.

What is a 10-month contract?

The contract begins with the start of the fall semester and concludes at the end of the spring semester. A request to cancel the housing contract prior to the end of the 10-month term is not guaranteed and must be submitted to the Director of Operations. Students who sign a contract at the start of the spring will sign a 5-month contract.

Winter Term:  For the winter term, students must apply through the Office of Residence Life to receive permission to occupy a room.  Students may be assigned to a room different than their Fall/Spring semester assignment for the period. A separate charge will be assessed for housing during the winter term.

Summer Term:  This contract does not include summer housing.  Students who seek housing for the summer term will apply through the Office of Residence Life.  An additional housing fee will be assessed for summer housing.

When are the buildings open for occupancy?

Opening and closing dates and the periods of occupancy are consistent with the housing calendar for College-owned properties.

What is the meal plan requirement?

Students may select either the 14 or 20 meal plan.  (Tator North and McCartney South units do not have private kitchens).  The meal plan charge will appear on your Lafayette student bill.

What are some of the building amenities?

Both buildings have central air-conditioning with in-suite thermostats, an elevator, community kitchens, a laundry room with coinless (free) operated machines, study lounges, and social lounges.  The College Store is on the first level of Tator North and a restaurant is on the first level of McCartney South.

Is there parking for residents of the McCartney Residences?

Students living in Tator North and McCartney South will register for parking through the regular student registration process and be assigned parking in the Bushkill Commons student parking lot (based on availability).